17 October, 2013

FW: A man of many dimensions

After finishing your PhD you took a job in industry rather than staying in academia. Was this your plan?
I was fed up with the university atmosphere and wanted a change. I also wanted to leave Switzerland. California was the right place to look for another job. It had to be in industry; I wanted to become a useful member of society and not just an academic playboy. I took a job with Varian Associates in Palo Alto, California, continuing working on NMR development.
After five years I returned to ETH Zurich, where I had studied for my doctorate. That was a mistake: I'd always sworn that I would never go back. After about two years, I had a nervous breakdown. I thought that was the end of my scientific career. I considered going to work in a post office and stamping envelopes. Very slowly after a long struggle with myself, I became a scientist again. But it was hard to start over.
[Description: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v502/n7471_supp/images/502S57a-i2.jpg]



Feed: Nature - Issue - nature.com science feeds
Posted on: Wednesday, 16 October 2013 11:00 AM
Author: Richard R. Ernst
Subject: Q&A: A man of many dimensions


Q&A: A man of many dimensions

Nature. doi:10.1038/502S57a<http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/502S57a>

Author: Richard R. Ernst

A pioneer of one- and two-dimensional nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), Ernst talks to Stephanie Harris about why dimensions are important in life as well as in science.



View article...<http://feeds.nature.com/~r/nature/rss/current/~3/s81kGiNOTYc/502S57a>

No comments:

Post a Comment